Am I having twin pregnancy symptoms? Well, your guess could actually be true as these symptoms could easily be detected by mums who had single pregnancies previously as they would be able to distinguish between their previous pregnancies and the present one.
However, you may not definitely confirm if you are carrying twins or not by determining how you feel or by depending on the result your home pregnancy test shows you as some of these symptoms are similar to single pregnancies. Let’s take a look at twin pregnancy symptoms to confirm if you could be carrying twins or not.
- During the first two weeks of pregnancy, higher HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin hormone) levels result in extreme morning sickness. You could experience extreme morning sickness, before you start missing your periods in some cases.
- Twin pregnancies usually come with exhaustion, fatigue, lethargy and sleepiness as you have to nurture two babies. It could also be associated with the mother’s body trying to provide nutrient for the more than one baby. You therefore need to sleep well and eat enough food for your body to work correctly.
- You develop an increased appetite when you are carrying two babies as your body demands for more food for the growing twins.
- Your baby bump is obvious and bigger than usual as your uterus may expand more than that of a mother carrying a single pregnancy as it has to accommodate the two babies.
- Mood swings tend to be associated more with twin pregnancies as there is an increase in the intensity of hormones produced by the body to meet the developmental needs of your babies. This could be noticeable from the sixth week of pregnancy.
- Pregnancy is detected by increased HCG level in the urine or blood. If there is a higher level than the normal range, then it could be a twin pregnancy indication.
MORE TWIN PREGNANCY SYMPTOMS AND SIGNS
Depending on the early symptoms, you can decide if you are pregnant with twins or not. However, there are other twin pregnancy symptoms that can help you confirm better. They include the following:
- Ultrasound: An indisputable way you can confirm if you have twins is through an ultrasound. An ultrasound image can help you indicate if there is more than one foetus. Aside other signs and symptoms you would have to do an ultrasound to be sure.
- Your Doctor checks your fundal height regularly: This fundal height helps to indicate the developmental age of the uterus and is taken from the pubic bone to the top of the uterus. The fundal height is the measure of the number of weeks you have progressed in pregnancy. If it measures more than one centimeter a week, then it could be twin pregnancy sign.
- Doppler heartbeat count: Your Doctor may carry out a doppler heartbeat count test for foetal heartbeat detection towards the end of the first trimester. You can hear two heartbeats if you are carrying twins.
- Shortness of breath is an early twin pregnancy symptom because of the force against the diaphragm (a thin skeletal muscle that sits at the base of the chest and separates the abdomen from the chest. It contracts and flattens when you inhale. This creates a vacuum effect that pulls air into the lungs) by the twins. If you feel uncomfortable, you should see your Doctor.
- Frequent back pains are due to excess weight gain, excess hormonal activity and uterus enlargement.
- Twin pregnancies require more blood flow for healthy development of the twins. Increased blood flow puts pressure on the veins which lead to varicose veins (large, swollen veins that often appear on the legs and feet) on the legs generally. Also, a significant force by the baby in the uterus causes the pelvic parts to compress which could lead to enlargement of veins near the vagina
- Cramps are early signs of twin pregnancies at the uterus enlarges more than normal.
- During twin pregnancies Preterm Labour tends to be more common and requires urgent attention. This is because they are more liable to, fetal distress, maternal hypertension fetal growth restriction, and placental abruption.
- Frequent urination increases during twin pregnancies because of the pressure exerted by the growing uterus, which is bigger on the bladder in size. However, you should not reduce your fluid intake as it is important you keep your body hydrated.
1o.You may have sore, painful and tender breasts during the fourth and fifth week if you are carrying a twin pregnancy. This occurs due to hormonal changes and by the sixth week, the nipples become painfully sensitive and darker.
- You may experience lack of sleep and insomnia due to indigestion, cramps, back pain, fatigue, nausea and indigestion. It is generally recommended to sleep, on your left side as this improves circulation, providing nutrient-packed blood, which an easier route from your heart to the placenta to nourish your baby. It also prevents your expanding body weight from pushing down on your liver too hard.
In conclusion, you could be on your way to having twins if you are experiencing a lot of these twin pregnancy symptoms. Be sure you discuss with your Doctor with symptoms you are not comfortable about and also the risks and complications that come with twin pregnancies.