Before you get married to anyone, it is very important you know their genotype. Knowing your genotype compatibility status will save you lots of troubles and prevent “stories that touch”.
In humans, the genotype is like a code which runs a computer software application. Your genotype is inherited from your parents and it determines your physical expressions like hair color, height, etc.
You may have heard about haemoglobin genotypes: AA, AS, AC, SS, SC… Let’s break it down.
Your genotype is made up of different HAEMOGLOBIN GENES which you inherit from your parents. A parent with genotype AS can either donate the A haemoglobin gene or the S haemoglobin gene to his/her child , SC can donate the S or the C while a person with AA genotype can donate only haemoglobin A , a person with SS can donate only the S haemoglobin gene to his/her child.
Examples of haemoglobin genotypes in humans beings are AA, AS, AC, SS. These refer to the haemoglobin gene constituents on the red blood cells. However, AC and SS are considered abnormal genotypes.
GENOTYPE COMPATIBILITY CHART
Study this table below carefully:
- AA + AA = AA, AA, AA, AA (Excellent)
- AA + AS = AA, AS, AA, AS, (Good)
- AA + SS = AS, AS, AS, AS, (Fair)
- AA + AC = AA, AA, AA, AC. (Good)
- AS + AS = AA, AS, AS, SS, (Very Bad)
- AS + SS = AS, SS, SS, SS, (Very Bad)
- AS + AC = AA, AC, AS,SS. (Bad; Advice needed)
- SS + SS = SS, SS, SS, SS, (Very Bad)
- AC + SS = AS, AS, SS, SS, (Very Bad)
- AC + AC = AA, AC, AC, SS. ( Bad; Advice needed)
COMPATIBLE GENOTYPES FOR MARRIAGE
- If AA marries an AA, that IS the best compatible case. Your future children don’t have to worry about genotype compatibility.
- If AA marries an AS. They can have kids with AA and AS which is good. In some cases, all the kids will be AA or all the kids may be AS, which limits their choice of a partner.
- AS and AS should not get married, there is the risk of having children with SS.
- SS and SS should never get married because the risk of having children with SS is very high.
Bone marrow transplant (BMT) has been proven to be the only promising permanent cure to SS, SC, and CC; however, it is very expensive and also has its own risks.
In summary, getting married to someone with the AA genotyope is the best option as you will not be at a risk of giving birth to children with sickle cell anemia.