Certain drugs/medications can have very bad effect on a man’s ability to father a child. If you have trouble fathering a child, it is important to speak with a healthcare personnel. Here are some medications and treatments that could affect your fertility as a man.
- Anabolic Steroids: These are drugs used to build muscle mass. A typical example is testosterone. Some muscle building drugs are tainted with anabolic steroids which harm sperm production, leading to poor sperm quantity/quality.
- Marijuana: Marijuana contains a chemical called Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) which is responsible for most of the psychological effects of marijuana. THC may have a very bad effect on sperm production. It may also have a direct harmful effect on sperm motility.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: Long-term use of NSAIDS like ibuprofen, diclofenac, etc. can disrupt the signals that control testosterone production. This can result in poor sperm quality and quantity.
- Some Antibiotics: There are some antibiotics which if taken for a long time, can affect sperm count and sperm quality. Examples include: erythromycin, gentamicin, neomycin, nitrofurantoin, tetracyclines,
- Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy is a form of treatment for cancer. All chemotherapy medications will reduce sperm production. Normal sperm production may return within two years but it may also never return to normal. The doctor may recommend sperm freezing before proceeding with chemotherapy.
Other medications like cimetidine, nifedipine and sulfasalazine can affect male fertility. If you have not been able to father a child and are taking these medications, talk to a healthcare professional.
For men whose sperm count has been affected by use of NSAIDS or hard drugs, normal sperm count should return after about 3 months. Sperm Boosters like EVERGREEN FORMULAR FOR MEN and MOTILITY FOR MEN can also be used to boost both sperm count and sperm quality.
Have you been trying for a baby without any luck, leave a comment or call 08173658113. Also, you can send a message on our Facebook or Instagram. We will be glad to assist you.